Font size- A A A
Frequently Asked Questions

Small Claims Division

What is Small Claims Court?

  • The Small Claims Court Division is a part of the Bossier City Court established pursuant to Louisiana Revised Statutes 13:5200-5212. You may sue to resolve minor civil disputes and to recover claims of up to $5,000.00. A claim, generally speaking, asserts a legal right you may have.
  • You may use the Small Claims Court to sue someone who LIVES within the city limits of Bossier City. You may also sue in Small Claims Court if you were injured within the city limits of Bossier City, regardless where the party causing your injury may live. Otherwise, the Court's authority to handle cases affecting defendants who do not reside within the Bossier City limits depends on numerous factors that warrant professional legal advice.
  • You must be EIGHTEEN years of age to file a case in Small Claims court, but minors may sue through a parent or guardian. Minors can not be sued unless through their parent or guardian.

What kind of suits may be filed in the Small Claims Court?

  • You may sue if you believe someone owes you money. For example, you may sue if:
    • Someone fails to return a deposit to you.
    • Products that you purchased are defective and the seller refuses to repair, refund or replace.
    • You suffer loss or injury as a result of the negligence or intentional misconduct of another.
    • Your employer fails to pay wages, salaries or commissions you are due.
    • You seek possession of personal property you are due (but not real estate).
  • The following types of cases MAY NOT be instituted in the Small Claims Court.
    • Suits involving annulment, separation, divorce, alimony, separation of property, temporary restraining order or injunction, succession, interdiction, receivership, liquidation, habeas corpus, or the title to real estate.
    • Suits against a state agency, parish, municipality or other political subdivision.
    • Suits against a public official performing official duties.

How do I sue in Small Claims Court?

  • Come to the Bossier city Court which is located at 620 Benton Road, Bossier City, Louisiana, in the Bossier City Municipal Complex between the hours of 8:00 am and 4:45 pm. The court cost deposit for filing a Small Claim action is $65.00 for each defendant (person being sued); $20.00 for each additional defendant. PLEASE BE ADVISED THAT THESE COURT COST ARE NON REFUNDABLE.

  • Filing Your Claim:
    • The clerk will give you a form entitled "Statement of Claim and Citation." Be prepared to fill this form out completely be either printing or typing and to provided the following information:
      1. Your name, address and daytime telephone number.
      2. The complete and proper legal name and address of the party you wish to sue. This party is called the "DEFENDANT." You will be the "PLAINTIFF."
        • If a business is being sued, call the corporation Division of the Louisiana Secretary of State at (225) 925-4704 to find out if the business is incorporated or if it is simply a "trade name" and is not incorporated.
        • If the business is incorporated, you should request the name and address of the REGISTERED AGENT for the corporation. That is the individual who will receive "service" or notice of the suit. Your should also find out the address of the Registered Office of the corporation, as this is the corporation's "residence."
        • If the business is not incorporated, you must find the NAME AND ADDRESS OF THE OWNER of the business, not the name of the business itself.
        • If you are suing someone as a result of an automobile accident and you do not know the owner of the vehicle causing the injury, the license number is helpful for determing the name and address of the owner. You can write the Motor Vehicles Registration, 7701 Independence Blvd., Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and request this information.
      3. A SIMPLE but COMPLETE statement of why you are suing. This should include dates, places, and persons as they relate to your claim and the total amount you are trying to recover with an itemization and explanation.
      REMEMBER: The limit is $5,000.00, excluding interest, court costs and attorney's fees (if attorney fees are recoverable).




Font size- A A A
Contact Us

Bossier City Court & Office of Clerk of Court
620 Benton Rd
P.O. Box 5337
Bossier City, Louisiana 71171-5337
Phone: 318.741.8595

Office Hours M-F: 8:00 am - 4:45 pm