Planning For Honey Bee Nuisance Calls And Emergencies
Developed By The Louisiana Beekeepers Association With The Cooperation Of Dr.Dale Pollet, Cooperative Extension Service LSU AgCenter, Department of Entomology, Mr. Jimmy Dunkley, State Apiary Inspector, Louisiana Department Of Agriculture and Forestry, Dr. Bob Danka, USDA Honeybee Breeding, Genetics and Physiology Research Laboratory, Baton Rouge And The Bossier City Fire Department.
To help officials determine a plan of action regarding Honey Bees
- Define Honey Bee Emergency and Nuisance Calls
- Locate local agencies that may be able to assist with nuisance and emergency calls.
- Determine what agencies can be of assistance and list numbers.
- Discuss how to handle bee calls.
- Importance of establishing written guidelines for there respective areas.
- Are social insects
- In Louisiana honey production is over 2 million dollars a year. This does not include wax production or the pollination rewards towards other agriculture products that are over $400,000,000 annually.
- Play a key role in the human and natural world.
- Domestic bees are kept in hives usually painted a white or light color, are somewhat rectangular, and can be a single box or several boxes stacked on top of each other.
What Are Killer Bees?
- Originated in Africa
- Imported To Brazil
- Accidentally Released In 1957
- Much More Defensive Of Their colony
- Reached Texas In 1990
- Reached Louisiana In 2005
- Potential Range Is Southern U.S. Depending On Temperature and Rainfall
| Honey Bee
|| Africanized Bee
AHB Progression In The U.S
Supplement For Law Enforcement
- Bees are sometimes transported inside and outside of the state.
- Most of the time in large loads on trucks, trailers and18 wheelers.
- They are usually covered by nets that are not always 100% effective.
- During hot or warm weather if a truck is stopped bees can become overheated and die.
- If truck is stopped and bees are getting through the net, they will continue to do this until the truck begins to move.
- This could endanger the officer or public causing a stinging incident or panic.
Suggestions For Law Enforcement
- Be careful when pulling these vehicles over
- If possible wait until vehicle is in an isolated area.
- If citation is to be issued it should be done in an expedient manner.
- The Cooperative Extension Agents of each parish could approach the Police Jury in setting up guidelines through The Board of Directors of 911, Sheriff Offices and local governments.
- Then each respective jurisdiction should write and implement a basic guideline for bee emergency and nuisance calls in their area.
A list is available at: